The building was originally built in 1928 to suit The Syracuse Herald Newspaper. In 1939, the Herald merged with the Syracuse Journal to form the Syracuse-Herald Journal. The Journal remained in the now Herald Commons building for more than 40 years. Both publications moved out in 1971 to a larger building in Clinton Square. The Herald stopped publishing in 2001 but The Post-Standard continues to publish. Horn Companies purchased the building from John Krell in 2015.